Monday, March 1, 2010

e doesn't=mc2, e=mom of two

I'm not Michele the science gal, but I do know that my body does not follow the laws of energy produced, nor does my body follow the laws of gravity. If Albert Einstein or Isaac Newton were alive today I'm sure I'd be in deep doo-doo for questioning their historic theories. But they're not, and its MY blog, and I can say whatever I want. My body stopped following the laws of gravity two years ago, and because my body works oober hard defying the laws of energy just to pump blood to my head, any laws on energy and mass no longer pertain to me.

About a year ago I read a great blog by someone with Lupus, called the spoon theory (I highly recommend it), which explains the difference in the amount of energy it takes for someone with an illness similar to mine, compared to the average person. I have my own comparison, I've named it "young mom of two". I figure most people know what it's like to carry a crying baby for a long period of time, and if you haven't had that experience, then pretend you're carrying two heavy bags of potatoes and your mate is yelling at you non-stop for 45 minutes!

Imagine you're a young mom of two, one child is 9 months and 22 pounds, the second child is 3 years old and weighs 34 pounds. Now imagine you need to get ready for work, and dear husband has left the childcare task to you. You have a presentation to give to the big wigs in your company. You have 45 minutes to get yourself and your precious children ready. So you're getting ready to put make-up on when the 9 month old gets fussy and begins to cry. You pick her up and rest her on your hip and continue to try to apply your make-up, while trying to rock and sooth her. The 9 month old continues screaming and has spit up on your new suit, your arm is aching. And now your three year old is whining for attention, you are now tense and frazzled. The 3 year old begins to scream, so you run for the baby back pack, and slip the 9 month old in, and grab the 3 year old and rest him on the hip that previously was taken by the 9 month old. You try to rock, sway and hush the screaming children, but nothing seems to calm them down. You have finally managed to apply a meager amount of make-up, your swept up hair style is falling in your face, your exhausted and ready to cry. You realize you still need to blow up a dozen balloons for the presentation at work. You're still holding both whining children, and you begin blowing up the balloons, first one is done, and you begin to feel like you may make it out the door on time. After about 5 balloons, you are out of breath, your arms are aching from holding the two children, and you continue to blow! By the tenth balloon, you are dizzy and about to pass out. You complete the last balloon, the world is spinning, but you know you have to get the kids dressed. You've dressed the children who are not cooperative, and head for the door. You realize you haven't had a thing for breakfast, so you run to the fridge for a quick swig from the milk carton (I know it's gross, but desperate times need desperate measures). After about the second swig you realize the milk has gone sour, but it's too late you've already swallowed (ewwww). As you grab the kids to leave, you're arms and body are fatigued from carrying the children, you are dizzy from blowing up all those balloons, and ready to barf from the sour milk. You contemplate calling it a day, but you catch your breath, and head out the door. It turns out to be a normal day at work. Your presentation went great, and they loved the balloons!

Having dysautonomia, makes my morning routine quite similar to "young mom of two". Just getting out of bed in the morning sometimes feels like I have blown up a dozen balloons. Applying make-up often feels like carrying two unhappy babies for a long duration. The nausea, is a daily occurrence that I still haven't gotten use to it. The only difference between me and "young mom of two", is that one unexpected task or running a few minutes late could send me to bed for the day. It still amazes me that a simple task like putting on make-up that used no energy for me before dysautonomia, now with dysautonomia the amount of energy I use is mind blowing. Miranda (a fellow dysautonomia friend and mom of two young girls) I don't know how you do it!

Just finished flipping pancakes, I think I need a nap!

Always inspired,
Michele

3 comments:

  1. Michele,
    I am very aware of your condition, because I can see it in your face many mornings when I know you feel nauseated and wonder if your med doses are higher. I also am amazed at the fact that you make it through the kind of work days we often have with crazy kinder kids. I know you cherish your time at work, and I am very greatful that you are there. I think what I want you to know is while your e=mbarf*1000 and your body chemistry isn't behaving or following the norm, I am not seeing you any differently. Even when you are out on a heat sweltering day with your white ice vest on that can't be bedazzled I still see you as Michele my friend who has helped me through a lot and still stands by my side even when I may break your rules and make you cringe. Although you are my handi-girl. You are really a handy friend. I don't see you as anything but that. I love you, and I do worry about you. Maybe some of it is simply selfish, because I really want you around for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv it, luv it, luv it. So true (plus back in the day I had kids exactly that age). It's so hard to explain the fatigue (and the rest) we feel from the simplest of tasks. Make up is so hard now, concentrating, holding my arms up, shaking hands which means more mascara on my cheeks rather than my eye lashes, trying to stand, mostly I just go au naturale. I have to take a proper photo for a site I've started writing for and I have no idea how I'm going to do my hair and makeup and still be fit to smile for the photo. I keep putting it off. Just once I'd love some energy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. I'm hoping to be another one of your 'Dysautonomia friends'. :0) I saw your blog listed on the BYDLS website and thought I'd stop by. I LOVE to make new blog friends, especially amazing, Christian ladies who have some idea of what I'm going through with Dysautonomia. It is great to have that support. I'm also friends with Miranda. Isn't she awesome?!?

    Well, I see you haven't posted in a while. I hope everything is OK and that you have a 'good' weekend.

    Blessings,

    Teresa <><

    ReplyDelete