Saturday, March 5, 2011

Magic Eight Ball

Last night I decided to step out into the wild side a bit and take a chance at an evening out with friends and colleagues. One of my favorite teacher friends was having a jewelry party and I was craving for some form of a "normal" social life. She was kind enough to find some understanding colleagues to give me a ride to her house, and I couldn't wait to actually be doing something "normal" for a change. As the night drew closer, I was beginning to listen to those shouts of doubt that were screaming in the back of my head "What if your body can't handle it?" and "Please don't let me crash in front of these people." I decided to ignore those pesty voices in my head not worry about what might or could happen.

On the night of the party my body seemed to be pretty cooperative, but my brain was on brain fog mode. I couldn't seem to compose a single sentence without a pause... or an "um" or "uh" in the middle. I seemed to be a little more self conscious of my inability to make intellectual conversation with these ladies from the world of academia. I know that these ladies don't have a mean bone in their bodies, but my past experience with a mean judgemental teacher I worked with several years ago always seems to creep into the shadows of my thoughts. As I was sitting there becoming more frustrated with myself I began to wish for a remedy to my problem. Poof, I discover the solution! I need to switch out my brain with a Magic 8 Ball. If someone asks me a question I could just tilt my head to the side and the little triangle answer would pop up on a glass panel on my forehead. Here's how a conversation might go.

Jane: "Michele, do you think the union protests in Wisconsin will be successful?"
Michele: Head tilt "As I see it yes."
Jane: "Do you think our district will be sending out allot of pink slips this month?"
Michele: Head tilt "Outlook not so good."
Jane: "Are you expecting to get a pink slip?"
Michele: "My sources say no."

Conversations would be a whole lot easier with a Magic 8 Ball in my head. Even with my many brain fog moments, I had a great time! Nothing like great friends, great food and some really beautiful jewelry to fill an evening. It was nice to get out and have a "normal" evening out. I'll have to do it again real soon,

"Outlook good!",
Michele

James 1:19
This you know, my beloved brethren. But let every one be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger.

1 comment: