Sunday, June 12, 2011

Abs of Steel!

Last week I decided the "muffin top" over my jeans is no longer acceptable and something must be done to alleviate the problem. I need to find a way to diet without obsession and exercise without passing out. I saw one of those infomercials with the workout diva's with a size 2 body and perfectly flat bellies advertising that anyone can have perfectly sculpted abs if they just purchased their workout DVD. So I thought to myself "I need to do something so why not give this a try, besides if I can do it I'll have ABS OF STEEL by the end of the summer!"

Since I've been diagnosed with POTS I had to quit working out. I use to be a workout diva myself before POTS. After my diagnosis I tried to work out but would become dizzy, short of breath and the raising of my heart rate just plain freaked me out, not to mention the fact that my heat intolerance usually would send my body over the top. Well it's been three years since my last workout and my body has become soft. A marshmallow is in better shape than I am. I need to get past my fear of exercising and give it another try.

I decided to take my workout experience a little differently. I need to face the fact that my body IS different and I need to give myself some grace to accept that I will not be able to do some things on the DVD. I need to be OK with stopping or changing up the workout to fit MY needs. I need to listen to my body and I don't have to do things exactly as the program instructs (this was designed for the healthy not someone with a chronic illness).

Last night I decided to give my new Crunchless Abs DVD a try. I took a salt tablet, filled up a big bottle of water, turned on the A/C and attached my workout theraband to my door. I pressed play and began the warm up followed by several different exercises and stretches. At times there would be something that required bending over (which I can't do) so I would repeat other reps previously done instead. At one point I became dizzy and had to sit on the floor with my head between my knees. As I'm trying to catch my breath, I could hear workout diva saying "keep going, I'm right there with you, I know what your feeling!" I giggled in my head "no, I don't think she's feeling what I'm feeling right now, nor would she ever be humbled into the head between the knees position". I finished the program on my terms and felt good. It felt really good to have a fine film of perspiration on my body, and I felt really good the next day.

I'm praying I can keep this up. The doctor has always encouraged exercising, but my one bad experience kept me in fear of trying again. I'm so glad I gave it another try. I'm even thinking of taking a before and after picture just like they do in the advertisements.

Inspired,
Michele

Romans 15:13
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

2 comments:

  1. You sound just like me. I worry that if I push myself to do it, I'm going to pay for it like I did when I was in physical therapy, and ended in bed for weeks. It takes all our energy just to function through life, let alone go all crazy energetic. But I don't like my muffin top either, or my now marshmallow softness LOL. Grrr pots! I hope it gets you feeling better doing it YOUR way, bc I think that's the smartest thing you can do, than pushing through doing steps they do on the DVD that you know make you sick personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!



    ReplyDelete